Warehouse fires are not just a threat of losing expensive business stock and equipment but can also endanger the lives of staff. A warehouse fire is a real nightmare scenario for a business, so it essential for organizations to minimize the risk.
Causes of Warehouse Fires:
- There are many causes of warehouse fires but the top causes are electrical malfunctions and poor housekeeping. Damaged wire, lighting fixtures, and heating units can cause great loss.
- It doesn’t matter who is the cause of the fire but what matters is how that mistake is executed. So always make strict laws to work in the warehouse.
- Some fires are intentionally executed to claim insurance or to do some fraud.
- No proper installation or maintenance of fire safety equipment is also the major cause of the fire.
WareHouse Fires Preventions:
- Understand and apply the laws applying to fire protection in warehouses: Fire safety is governed by a number of laws and codes. That includes storage height, the distance between racks, and many more.
- Often carry our risk assessment: Opt fire prevention according to the material you will going to store.
- Know what products you are carrying and advise your local fire department: If you are storing flammable substances then issue safety data sheets perfectly.
- Ensure products are stored properly: Different materials require different storage units so plan accordingly.
- Develop and post a fire safety plan: Include an evacuation plan and make sure the warehouse has a number of exits.
- Train all employees on your fire safety procedures: Train all employees how to tackle the panic situation so that loss can be minimized
- Practice good housekeeping: Good housekeeping help to avoid the risk of fire to a great extent.
- Don’t use electrical heaters or temporary cords: Electrical equipment should be used outside the warehouse or use with some precautions.
- Install fire extinguishers at every possible point: A fire extinguisher is the best tool to fight the fire
- Install fire alarm system with smoke detectors that help to generate a warning when the fire is in initial stages: Fire alarm system helps you to execute proper plan to save the lives and property.
- Fire suppression systems (Sprinklers and hydrants) are much beneficial: Sprinklers help to extinguish fires when the fire has just started.
- Regularly check that the smoke detector and sprinklers are working properly or not: maintenance of the fire alarm system is essential as fire can break out anytime and anywhere.